Current:Home > reviewsEU investigating Apple, Google and Meta's suspected violations of new Digital Markets Act -Wealth Pursuit Network
EU investigating Apple, Google and Meta's suspected violations of new Digital Markets Act
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 23:30:23
London — European Union regulators opened investigations into Apple, Google and Meta on Monday, the first cases under a sweeping new law designed to stop Big Tech companies from cornering digital markets. The European Commission, the 27-nation bloc's executive arm, said it was investigating the companies for "non-compliance" with the Digital Markets Act.
The Digital Markets Act that took effect earlier this month is a broad rulebook that targets Big Tech "gatekeeper" companies providing "core platform services." Those companies must comply with a set of do's and don'ts, under threat of hefty financial penalties or even breaking up businesses. The rules have the broad but vague goal of making digital markets "fairer" and "more contestable" by breaking up closed tech ecosystems that lock consumers into a single company's products or services.
The commission said in a press release that it "suspects that the measures put in place by these gatekeepers fall short of effective compliance of their obligations under the DMA."
It's looking into whether Google and Apple are fully complying with the DMA's rules requiring tech companies to allow app developers to direct users to offers available outside their app stores. The commission said it's concerned the two companies are imposing "various restrictions and limitations" including charging fees that prevent apps from freely promoting offers.
Google is also facing scrutiny for not complying with DMA provisions that prevent tech giants from giving preference to their own services over rivals. The commission said it is concerned Google's measures will result in third-party services listed on Google's search results page not being treated "in a fair and non-discriminatory manner."
Google said that it has made "significant changes" to the way its services operate in Europe to comply with the DMA.
"We will continue to defend our approach in the coming months," Google's director of competition, Oliver Bethell, said.
In December, it was revealed that Google had agreed to pay $700 million and make several other concessions to settle allegations brought in the U.S. that it had been stifling competition against its Android app store.
The European Commission has slapped Google with antitrust penalties several times already, including a record $5 billion fine levied in 2018 over the search engine's abuse of the market dominance of its Android mobile phone operating system.
The commission is also investigating whether Apple is doing enough to allow iPhone users to easily change web browsers.
Apple said it's confident that its plan complies with the DMA, and it will "continue to constructively engage with the European Commission as they conduct their investigations." The company said it has created a wide range of new developer capabilities, features, and tools to comply with the regulation.
The California company is facing a broad antitrust lawsuit in the U.S., meanwhile, where the Justice Department has alleged that Apple illegally engaged in anti-competitive behavior in an effort to build a "moat around its smartphone monopoly" and maximize its profits at the expense of consumers. Fifteen states and the District of Columbia have joined the suit as plaintiffs.
Apple has also previously fallen foul of the EU's regulators, with a first fine against the company imposed by the bloc only several weeks ago. In its first antitrust penalty against Apple, the European Commission fined the company almost $2 billion in early March for breaking its competition laws by unfairly favoring its own music streaming service over competitors'.
Meta, also no stranger to the wrath of European regulators, is being investigated by the commission over the option given to users to pay a monthly fee for ad-free versions of Facebook or Instagram, so they can avoid having their personal data used to target them with online ads.
"The Commission is concerned that the binary choice imposed by Meta's 'pay or consent' model may not provide a real alternative in case users do not consent, thereby not achieving the objective of preventing the accumulation of personal data by gatekeepers," it said.
Meta said in a prepared statement that, "Subscriptions as an alternative to advertising are a well-established business model across many industries, and we designed Subscription for No Ads to address several overlapping regulatory obligations, including the DMA. We will continue to engage constructively with the Commission."
The EU fined Meta $1.3 billion about one year ago and ordered it to stop transferring European users' personal information across the Atlantic by October, in the latest salvo in a decadelong case sparked by U.S. cybersnooping fears. Meta called that decision by the commission flawed, and vowed to fight the fine.
The commission said it aims to wrap up its latest investigations into the American tech behemoths within 12 months.
- In:
- Technology
- Lawsuit
- Apple
- Meta
- European Union
veryGood! (6435)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Nigeria police say 15 school children were kidnapped, days after armed gunmen abducted nearly 300
- Baby killed and parents injured in apparent attack by family dog, New Jersey police say
- Report: New Jersey and US were not prepared for COVID-19 and state remains so for the next crisis
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- The IRS launches Direct File, a pilot program for free online tax filing available in 12 states
- Josh Jacobs to join Packers on free agent deal, per multiple reports
- Messi the celebrity dog made it to the Oscars. Here’s how the show pulled off his (clapping) cameo
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Kirk Cousins leaves Vikings to join Falcons on four-year contract
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Kim Mulkey crossed line with comments on LSU, South Carolina players fighting
- Asked to clear up abortion bans, GOP leaders blame doctors and misinformation for the confusion
- Minnesota Eyes Permitting Reform for Clean Energy Amid Gridlock in Congress
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- The 10 Best Websites to Buy Chic, Trendy & Stylish Prom Dresses Online
- Nigeria police say 15 school children were kidnapped, days after armed gunmen abducted nearly 300
- The 9 Best Comforter Sets of 2024 That’re Soft, Cozy, and Hotel-Like, According to Reviewers
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Asked to clear up abortion bans, GOP leaders blame doctors and misinformation for the confusion
Blue dragons in Texas? Creatures wash up on Texas beaches, officials warn not to touch
The Body Shop shutters all store locations in United States as chain files for bankruptcy
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
JoJo Siwa Warns Fans of Adult Content and Sexual Themes in New Project
CHUNG HA is ready for a new chapter: 'It's really important from now to share my stories'
Man arrested in California after Massachusetts shooting deaths of woman and her 11-year-old daughter